Friday, May 03, 2013

Many thoughts

I am a little over 2 weeks out from my first half marathon.  I cannot believe the number of thoughts I have going through my head.  Pacing, injuries, my broken ipod (*tear*) what to wear, what to eat, will I sleep (not likely if the fact that I can't sleep TWO WEEKS OUT is any indication), can I do the distance, will I bonk (I haven't yet in any training/exercise anything - this is freaking me out), will I go faster? Slower? the exact predicted time? Should I run the course in advance or keep it a surprise?  Are my shoes right? (Irrelevant, can't change them 2 weeks out that would be absurd) am I cross training too much? Not enough? Should I run more? Less?  Are those shin splints?  Or just a phantom pain...

The list goes on and on.

I have 15 more days of this nonsense.

I have never been more excited or happy about something.

This race is all about a little more than 2 hours where I celebrate that I did something I didn't know I could do.  It's icing on the cake of 16 weeks of work.  Every time I ran at a tournament or on a treadmill while it was sleeting outside, this race is the reason.  Every blister and pain and cramp - this race is the reason.

I may go slower than I'd like, I may go faster than I'd like, but I'm going to do it.  And I'm sure I'll sleep eventually.




2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

If you think that you're not going to sleep, then you probably won't! Try to imagine yourself being calm relaxed and sleeping normally the week before the race. Tell yourself that you are excited, but not nervous, because you KNOW you are capable of it. Just read this blog again. You put in the work, you are prepared- there is nothing else to do now but just relax and let the race be a celebration of all you've accomplished.

Sara said...

:) Thanks Elizabeth!! I've actually been sleeping better than I thought I would - Thank God. I'm really hoping I can get a full 7 or 8 hours every day running up to the race, although next Saturday that might be difficult. I'll at least lay there and rest for 7 or 8 hours with my eyes closed. :P