Monday, May 26, 2014

Boston's Run to Remember: Run for Something Bigger than Your Time

Yesterday I ran the 10th Annual Run to Remember Half Marathon in Boston.  I'll have notes about my specific race/training/take-a-ways (yadda, yadda, the same stuff I always do here) in a minute.  But honestly, this race means a lot more to me than all of that, and I'd much rather talk about it as an overall event first.

In other words, grab a snack or a cup of tea, because this could be a long one.

I was at the Run to Remember last year as a volunteer.  It was right after my first half marathon and while I felt running another half so close to my first was a pretty bad idea, I really wanted to be a part of it.  It was just a little over a month after the Boston Marathon bombings and took on a much larger meaning as a result. Volunteering last year was an amazing experience.  The conditions were a little cold and damp, but it was my first experience with a larger race and I knew I wanted to run this one next time.

Boston's Run to Remember is hosted by the Boston Police Department every Memorial Day weekend in honor of all of the fallen police officers who have served.  Upon entering the Expo you encounter this amazing display, which was literally too awesome to capture in one picture:

Each of the flag panels has names of officers and the dates of their tour. 
They also do a ton at the start and throughout the Expo to honor the troops and firefighters.  The race has a race within it between different police officer teams.  The cadets for the Boston Police Academy run as a unit, groups of troops run together.  It's an amazing event and an awesome reminder that for this weekend you are running for more than yourself.

To top it off the race runs through really iconic parts of Boston, starting in the Seaport, running through the city, continuing across the bridge and up and down Memorial Drive, before returning through the city and finishing on the seaport.  It's pretty flat, except for the hills on the bridges, which are not really hills.  The course for 2014 is below:

Course Map for 2014 Run to Remember
As if it couldn't get more awesome, it was also my friend C's first half marathon and I was pretty excited to get the chance to run at least part of that with her.

So to recap: Great cause, awesome course, a friend's first half.  Pretty much a recipe for awesome, even if things go slightly askew.

Oh, and bonus - the BPD (Boston Police Department) knows how to put on a race for 12,000 runners.  I was very happy to see that they had arranged for a suitable number of port-a-potties for the size of the event. (Seriously, this is a quirky obsession of mine.  I take pictures of it way too often, and admit, I judge your race by the port-a-potty-preparation, or PPP factor.  I know.  Obsessive much).
Many port-a-potties.  They had this on the other side too.  Well done BPD

After bonking at Shamrock I devoted a substantial amount of time the week before the race to nutrition and water.  I also SHOULD HAVE devoted more time in the months leading up to solid training and cross-training, but a couple of injuries, Ragnar Recovery, life...well, that was just off.  I plan to step that up from here on out this summer before some big fall races.  But there it is, in print, I'm under-trained for my early summer race schedule. Shmer.  I decided that running this slower was in the cards as a result.  I still have another half in 2 weeks and the Mt. Washington Road Race (aka the Big Bad) in less than a month. There would be no racing of this half.  It would be a nice, easy training pace.

The lovely people at Boston Bodyworker taped up my aching Extensor Tendon, and preemptively taped up my always troublesome calves as well.  They are fantastic by the way, highly recommend if you are in need of some kineso-taping in the Boston area.

The Run to Remember starts EARLY.  A 7 am start on a Sunday meant 2 things in regards to my nutrition plan. 1) Dinner had to be done by 7:00 pm. 2) My tradition of a early morning venti dark roast from Starbucks along with a multi-grain bagel was out.  There are no Starbucks open at 4am on a Sunday in Boston (anywhere?).  Plus, I'm a bagel snob, I didn't want a store bought fake bagel.  So I had to find something else.

I had dinner with my friend M and her friends J & S.  We went to one of the most amazing places I have ever encountered for pre-race fuel.  OMG how have I lived in Boston for so long and never been to Rino's? The place is tiny, 13 tables, and everything is obviously homemade.  The portion sizes are literally insane (I think I ate less than 1/3 of my food and took the rest home for post-race lunch AND dinner).  It was delicious and perfect.  Gnocchi may be my new favorite pre-race food:

Gnocchi for dinner: nom.

The rest of our table's food - ie food for 20, not 4.
Before heading home I had to stop at the store and get some whole wheat bread for toast and some bananas for the next day.  I got home a little after 8:00 pm, plenty of time for 7 hours of sleep before the alarm went off at 3:45 am.

I woke up (as I always seem to) 5 minutes before the alarm.  I started the coffee, crawled back into bed until 4 am and then got up to drink my coffee and eat my toast with peanut butter and a banana.  I also drank a 16 ounce bottle of water, filled my 16 ounce handheld with Gatorade (I prefer to fuel with Gatorade rather than Gu on a race) and was headed out the door by 5:15 to meet M and head into the race. On the way into meeting M/before the start of the race I drank another 20 ounces of water (this obsessive logging of liquids will become relevant shortly, I promise).

J (who is a rock star) drove us to the start at OMG O'Clock (ie any time before Starbucks is open) and had our drop bags.  We walked to the start and I realized I'd accidentally left a jacket on that I really didn't want to lose.  So we found an extra bag, checked it, and then went to use the port-a-potties before the start.  It might have been the fastest trip through there ever in a race for me.  30 minutes before the start and the line was 5 people deep.  For a 12,000 person field.  Seriously.  A+ BPD.

We met up with C by the 10:00 mpm pace sign, snapped a quick picture, sang the national anthem and were ready to start. (Aside-I still get teary every time I hear the national anthem at a race.  I thought it would stop eventually, but it hasn't.  I'm not sure what it is, but I just feel so privileged to be there and healthy enough to do this thing, in this space.  I hope I always tear up at the start of races.)

Ready to start!
I only have one small complaint regarding race logistics.  The 5 mile and half start together.  They said there were 12,000 total runners and 8,000 for the half.  There were not official corrals or waves.  Boston streets are not wide.  That makes for a really crowded field at the start.  The first 2.5 miles were spent dodging people and trying to find some place to move.  This isn't really a complaint, because I wasn't looking to PR or anything, but I wouldn't pick this race for a PR attempt for that reason.  Additionally, the start mat was a little confusing because you cross the finish mat before the start mat.  As a result, my Garmin started about .15 miles early.  Again, not a big deal since I was just having fun, but I would have cared if this had been a PR attempt.

We ran through the (now very crowded!) streets of Boston and really just had a blast.  One of mine and C's coworkers was cheering right at mile 2 and it was really awesome to see her.  Then at the mile 3 water stop a friend of mine and M's was working and we stopped for some high fives and hugs.  It was great.  The first mile was pretty slow while we bobbed and weaved in the crowd: 11:14.  We hit a groove after that and JFR through the city, across the bridge and up and down Memorial Drive.  It was a blast running this part of the course, really.  We chatted, joked around, didn't pay attention to splits, high-fived little kids and police officers, it really was just fantastic.  Splits for miles 2-10: 10:29, 10:20, 10:41, 10:05, 10:11, 10:17, 10:08, 9:41.

M & C were going strong at this point and I could feel that something was super off with me.  I looked down at my hands and realized they had swollen to something like 3 or 4 times their normal size (I am not exaggerating on this, they were ghastly large).  I couldn't really pay attention to what M was saying to me while she was trying to chit chat our way in on the last 5K and at the next water stop I waved them on.  I  knew they could finish stronger than me and I needed to get a handle on...well, my hands.

Mile 11 I walked through a water stop and then some, with my hands over my head.  I got my bearings again and felt less confused/dizzy and started cautiously running.  M&C were long gone by the time I started cautiously running again.  This mile took me 10:27.

I was similarly cautious on Mile 12.  I actually used the water stop here (I never use the first/last water stops in races) just to try and get things stable again.  More walking.  More hands over head.  This took a ridiculously long time for me: 11:37 (not surprised by this at all since I walked for probably close to .2 miles all told.)

When I (thought) I was in the last mile I figured I was really close and could push it again to the finish, hydration problems or not.  I began to actually run like it was a race for the first time all day.  If my Garmin hadn't recorded this I might not have believed it, I CRUSHED* this mile: 7:32 in what I (thought) would be a very fast finish. *(Part of me thinks this must be a data error.  I was going fast, but this is wicked fast for me...I have no explanation for this being the only error in the data though, everything else seemed to record normally.  Things that make you go hmmm...)

This is where I realize the course is long (or my bobbing and weaving earlier really, REALLY added on some distance), because I heard the beep from my Garmin, and knew where we were on the course and definitely had WAY MORE than .1 left to go.  Since I wasn't sure exactly how much was left I pulled it back a little bit but still stayed faster towards the end.  .71 (yes, .71) in 6:38, or a 9:38 pace.

Garmin splits - what a weird finish
For the first time in my race history instead of going straight for water and a bagel I went to the med tent.  My hands were still super swollen (they would continue to be for most of the day.  They eventually got down to about double the size by the end of brunch but they didn't look 100% normal again until I woke up today.)  They took my blood pressure (which was a little off) and pulse.  Had me lay down, asked me a bunch of questions and were super nice. The only thing they didn't give me was an answer to what was going on (which kind of sucks, because my research yesterday/today indicates it could be either dehydration or overhydration, or an electrolyte imbalance caused by either one of the above...ergo making it really hard to figure out what to do better next time.  Grrr....)  Once the light-headedness passed and I felt less out of it I left, met up with M&C and we got our (very cool) medals and made plans for brunch (which is my favorite meal ever and at least half of the reason I run).

We walked to a little place called Barlow's and took a picture for my friend S's "Choose Joy" project.  We had long leisurely discussions of work, running and life.  We just generally enjoyed being there and the amazing experience we had just shared.



I came home and showered before passing out for a really long nap (it was AMAZING) and then started to assess the damage done by this race.  Honestly it really wasn't bad.  Not too sore, Extensor a tiny bit cranky but pretty good considering I just put almost 14 miles on it.  Really, the biggest damage from the day was this obnoxious blister that developed around mile 8.  It's the second time I've gotten a blister in that SAME SPOT during a half.  Methinks a shoe/sock issue might be to blame (which sort of sucks because that's a rather expensive trial-error process to fix).  Warning-gross blister pic below:

13.1 miles always leads to blisters here.  Grrr.  
All in all, a great day with a few setbacks.  Stuff to do before the next race in 2 weeks:  1) I need to figure out this shoe/sock thing.  I can't be dealing with blisters at mile 9 every time.  I've got these nifty Dr. Scholl's blister treatment things that work pretty well to cushion/speed up healing, but I'd rather just not have a problem. 2) I clearly am botching the hydration angle of this half thing.  The problem is I don't know if I'm doing too much or too little.  Or maybe I'm doing the right amount, but need to focus more on salts or something, who knows.  I need to figure that out in the next couple of weeks before the Heartbreak Hill Half, though, for sure.

Even with my slowest half ever and the mile 11/12 shenanigans I feel pretty good.  I had a ton of energy left in the tank.  That's a ridiculously fast finish for me at the end of a half, and would have been more impressive if it had been 13.1 instead of 13.71.  I have very little muscle soreness today at all.  Assuming this blister pack works, I may even go out for a recovery mile or two to see if I can join the RW Summer Run streak. I've never felt strong enough to run the day after a half before, so that's a total win.

I will definitely do this again:



No comments: