Saturday, June 22, 2013

June Swoon

I feel like this month has been a bit of a let down in terms of running, even with the PR last week.  I suppose that was inevitable after the high points of running my first races and a successful first half marathon, but I really didn't expect to look back at June and feel sort of meh about the whole thing.

In May I ran 100 miles in a month for the first time ever.  One of the things I didn't really talk about all that much while doing that was that I was running them battling this constant nagging pain in my shins.  It came and went.  Was the worst right before my half, seemed to miraculously disappear for a few days right after my half, and then came back right towards the end of the month.


After a conversation with my new (and utterly fantastic, I might add) running coach we dialed my mileage back and focused on flat, easy, running in an effort to defeat this silly injury now.  It's the right move.  It's still the very early stages of my next training cycle and I really don't want this to get worse.  I don't know what I would do with a summer sidelined from running completely because I can't get a handle on this injury.

In fact, I was being perfectly rational about all of it, chugging along with short easy miles, doing hip/glute strength training diligently (because she's pretty sure that's the source of the problem), hanging out with my new best friend: the foam roller, swimming (more on that below) and going about my day.  I was a little antsy that my miles were lower, but I didn't worry about it too much.

Until I looked at my June mileage tally and realized it was already the 20th: 51 measly miles and 10 days left in the month.



Granted I still have two weekends left (read: two long runs) but suffice to say there is nothing impressive about following up a 100 mile month with what will likely be something like a 75-80 mile month.

I know I'm being a little hard on myself and I'm trying to remember that I am doing all of this now so I can run faster and pain free later.  I'm trying to remember that it's a process and it's better that I take a step back now than actually injure myself in a way that puts me out of commission for weeks or months later.  I keep reminding myself that the goal races are the Philly RnR Half and Rehoboth and I *need* to heal now to get my sub 2:00:00 there.  I'm trying to remind myself that I didn't *just* run 51 miles this month, I also worked up to 80 push ups a day (from 36) and swam again for the first time in ages, and spun and did strength training and got a new 5K PR...

...But man, 51 miles in 20 days seems low to me.  And I haven't missed a goal by this much in a while (wanted 110 in June at the start of the month).

Okay, enough whining.  New blog rule: I have to find some positive things to finish up these posts.  So here goes:

1) I replaced some of my miles with swimming/aqua jogging this month for the first time in years.  I am in total and complete awe of swimmers/triathletes.  Holy hell swimming is hard.  Last week for the first time I finally did some serious continuous swimming (1 lap swimming followed by 1 lap aquajogging for 30 minutes. Made it 30ish lengths of the pool (I think, I only started counting mid way).  That was ridiculous hard and definitely something I a) couldn't do before b) wouldn't have been able to do if I hadn't added swimming/aqua jogging at the behest of Coach S.  So thank you for that accomplishment, shin splints.

2) I have gotten much more diligent about foam rolling/strength exercises for my lower body/core.  I am relatively certain this will pay huge dividends in the long term (hopefully in the form of staving off injuries far into the future, hint, hint).  I basically have a little corner of my apartment set up to be foam rolling, stretching, strengthening zone.  And I use it.  Daily.  *pats self on back*

3) I have learned how to use KT tape.  I'm not thrilled with the cost of said tape, but I'm pretty damn good at taping my shins now, and it really does help.

4) I saved the best for last.  The run I'm most excited about this month will also be the last run of this month and my limited miles have not hurt my ability to complete that one at all.  On June 30th I get to be part of the One Run For Boston.  6.5 easy miles (prob right around a 10 min pace) with a group of other people to bring to a close the first relay across the United States.  It ends on the marathon route and will raise money for the One Fund.  I posted more about my feelings on this event here.  There are currently more than 1,000 people, some of whom have already ran, some of whom (like me, are waiting to run).  People have run in 100+ degree heat across California and Arizona.  People have run 30 and 40 mile stretches across some of the most desolate areas you can imagine.  People have flown across the country to run stretches that were hard to fill.  But most importantly they keep going.  I'm thrilled and humbled to get to be a part of this awesome relay.  I think it will make up for any feelings of disappointment I'm struggling with today.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I like your blog rule of ending on a positive note! You are being so smart about this nagging pain. Part of what makes an athlete a good athlete is knowing when to dial it back. And. . . pretty much all runners have had an injury, or multiple injuries. So welcome to the club! Keep on that foam roller and keep up with those exercises!

Sara said...

Elizabeth, you are really the best. Thank you so much for your never ending encouragement of me and my running. I have very few people in my life who get it...they all appreciate it and like that I'm happy, but they don't get it. Thank you for both getting it and being so great!