Thursday, June 06, 2013

One Run for Boston

If you know me at all you know that I can get a little intense about my causes (there is laughter all over America at the idea that I just qualified intense with "little" but that's okay).  My cause of the day is simple and I'd really love it if people would take a minute and check it out over the next 24 days, because it's going to be epic.

My name is Sara.  A year ago I was struggling to run a mile.  in 25 days I will run 6.5 of them, on the Boston  Marathon route as part of the One Run for Boston.  The One Run for Boston will raise funds for the One Fund, but more importantly (at least for me) it's a statement.  It is a cross country relay, organized by 3 wonderful individuals from the UK.  Starting tomorrow at 10 am Pacific Time a relay will begin that will end on the Boston Marathon route.  800+ runners have signed on, some taking marathon or ultra marathon distance in the most remote areas of Arizona or New Mexico.  Some runners, like me, are running much easier, urban routes that have some meaning for them (I'll be running past the house of a dear friend who watches the marathon every year).

I think this race is fantastic.  I have become a little obsessed with it, and I can't pinpoint why.  Raising money for the onefund is fantastic, but we haven't raised as much as others, so that isn't it, and running is a thing I've been doing and focusing on anyway.  I run in my Run*Now bracelet and look down at it when I consider slowing down.  It's not the motivation, at least for me, it's something else.

Being part of this relay has exposed me to the absolute best in humanity as a direct response to the absolute worst.  It has made me appreciate running in a way that is deeper than the accomplishment I felt completing a half marathon.  This is no light comparison, btw, running that half was among the most fantastic experiences of my life to date, that there is something in running intrinsically better than that is remarkably humbling.  Recently I've had a string of bad days at work and really, the best parts of my day have been my runs.  I mentioned this on the loop and had a response of: "how do non-runners cope with life?"  It's a profound question and one I do not have an answer to right now, which is odd when you consider I've only been a runner for a year.

I encourage you to follow the relay baton as it makes a profound journey of healing and strength.  I encourage you to run one of the very few remaining legs, or join a leg, if you can.  Most importantly, I encourage you to follow your joy.  Sometimes it seems like the world is set up to keep us from our joy, fight for your's, no matter what.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Nice post. It's wonderful that you are getting involved in this way and are so passionate about this cause.

Sara said...

Awww, thanks Elizabeth. :) You have been so amazingly helpful through all of this...and it's funny. I didn't *get* running at all for years. I was very happy for my friends that did it, but running to me meant mandatory time on a treadmill...now it is totally different. And I love it.